Tuesday, July 9, 2013

One Crazy Summer



Three African-American sisters, Delphine, Vonetta, and Fern travel to California in1968 to meet their mama for the first time. Their mama had left the three of them with papa and "Big Ma" when they were very young so they expected, at the very least, a hug or an apology. When they meet her, they realize their expectations were very off track. Their mother, Cecile (or Nzila, her poet name) doesn't seem to care for them at all, so the three sisters have to fend for themselves. They encounter the Black Panthers, best friends, worst enemies, strange whispers, and Crazy Kelvin.

One Crazy Summer, by Rita Williams-Garcia
Age: 9-12
Awards: National Book Award Finalist, Scott O'Dell, Newberry, and a Gazillion More
You'll Like this If You Liked: Esperanza Rising, by Pam Munoz Ryan


12 comments:

  1. love this! you have such a great writing style--can't wait to read right along with you! (P.S. I'm 25, and my favorite place is STILL the library--you go girl!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I'll look into getting this book for a literature circle for my fifth grade students. It is great to read reviews that are not written by an adult. Thanks for your perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! Thank you so much! I am always looking for titles to grab from the library for my 3rd grader, but there are so many great ones out there that I feel like I'm missing some of the best. I love how you included suggested ages and similar books. Please keep posting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book is so good! I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your blog! Thank you for including the age ranges. Keep up the great work, looking forward to more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great blog! I am looking forward to sharing this with my daughters (ages 7 and 9.) My 9 year old loved One Crazy Summer and Esperanza Rising may be one of her all time favorites. I think she is going to find your reviews very interesting and will find new books to read from your blog. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so excited that you've started this blog! I have used your book recommendations many times to buy presents for my nieces who are about your age. They always love them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am soo excited that I have found a blog of another girl who also likes reading!! It is so hard to find other girls that are like me! Can't wait to see what else you will posting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read this book this summer and LOVED it! What a great surprise. I will have to send my bookworm daughter to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You actually recommended this to me, pa-ha-o-b-e. I loved it! thank you :)

    ReplyDelete